Re: Cheapbytes installed : now some questions

On Sun, Aug 16, 1998 at 01:30:01PM -0500, Jor-el wrote:
>     I did my first successful install of Debian 2.0 from a Cheapbytes
> cd. It wasnt quite as slick as I would have liked it to be, but I did
> get it working.

Every suggetsion for improvement is welcome! (Not that we have the time and
manpower to make big changes at a time, but we'll try our best).

>     I did have some problems initially with confiuring 'dip' to work.
> (The ppp install script crashed with an error. Unfortunately, I didnt
> record the error, so I'm not complaining).

You could try to restart it with "pppconfig" (Save your current setup
prior). If you can sent us the error message, this would be great.

>     There were some problems with the Makefile searching for  the
> 2.7.2.1 gcc-lib include directory instead of 2.7.2.3, but I got around
> that. The show-stopper, however was that the Makefile couldnt find the
> socketio.h include. I eventually traced this include down to the
> libc5-altdev_5.4.38-1.1.deb package in the oldlibs directory on the
> debian cd.

Seems that you got "old" sources for dip. Debian does also ship source
packages, if you want to recompile something. However, the build environment
changed (this is the libc5-libc6 change). Some header files changed, and
porting a program from the old lib to the new is not everytime easy
(sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't). Hower, Debian has complete backward
compatibility. For this, you must install the gcc-altdev package, and change
the PATH or something to execute the altdev gcc. there are informations in
the README file I think.

>     I am vaguely aware that this release of debian changed from using
> libc5 to libc6. I dont really know what that means. My question is this
> : will I screw up anything if I install any of the older libraries? A
> related question is : how come the socketio.h include is not present
> with the newer libraries.

Debian has a section "oldlibs" where compatibility libraries are provided
for your convenience. If you use them, you should be safe. If you install
libc5 libraries with the same name as the current libc6 libraries, you are
asking for trouble, as Debian is completely libc6.

>     (Oh, I did get 'dip' to work. Turns out there was a bug in my chat
> script which was not serious with the older version of 'dip' present in
> my RedHat distribution. However, the newer version of 'dip' that came
> with Hamm took a more serious view of this bug. However, I would still
> like an answer to my questions.)

Yes, sometimes the configuration files have to be changed at major
upgrades. A prior ignored bug may show up then, as you expereinced it.

I hope I could answer your questions, but feel free to ask for more.

>     Also, I downloaded communicator 4.05 and tried to install it. Part
> of the install process required using a program (that comes in the
> communicator tarball) called 'vreg'. I am unable to execute this. It
> says that it requires libc.so.5. Sure enough, I dont have libc.so.5, but
> I do have a symbolic link of libc.so.6. Is this problem only a matter of
> defining a sybolic link of libc.so.5 to the same library as pointed to
> by libc.so.6, or do I have to build communicator from the sources on my
> machine? Incidentally, the communicator program itself complain about
> the absence of libXt.so.6. Where do I get this from?

Do not make a symlink from libc5 to libc6, it will not work. You don't need
to recompile communicator, though. Just install the libc6 package from
"oldlibs", and it should work. You also will need "xlib6" (as opposed to
xlib6g for the Debian programs). These are compatibility libraries for
binaries that still use libc5.

Have fun,
Marcus