Installing on Toshiba Satellite Pro 490XCDT

I've got Hamm installed on this machine on the /dev/hda3 (using
hda2 for swap).  All seems to have gone fine for the basic install
judging from copying the linux image from the boot floppy to a
directory on /dev/hda1 and loading it with loadlin. I've even followed
the pointers from a month or so back on this list to get myself a
simple short cut under Windoze95 to get me to Linux.

Only oddity to date is that the same kernel on the floppy itself gets
a rebooting loop.  It gives the boot prompt and starts loading then
reboots ... infinite loop. Loadlin with the same kernel image from
the "MSDOS" mode from the C: drive works fine.  I guess I can live
with this but I'd like to have a bootable floppy in case Windoze kills
the C:|hda1 partition and thus vapourises my boot up route.
Anyone see obvious differences between floppy boot and loadlin
that would tell me what I'm missing here?

While I'm here: anyone any advice on best routes for getting
technical information out of Toshiba?  I'll clearly need it to get the
X/S3Virge server right and to get PC card ethernet and
modem/ISDN in the near future.  From Debian and other linux info.
on Tosh's of the past I've found it seems the machines are well
respected but the company are not regarded as open or supportive
to the linux world.

Chris