Re: WARNING : libc6 Version: 2.0.7t-1 breaks resolv routines

Robert J. Alexander writes:
> The debugging I and a friend in IBM have been doing seem to pinpoint the
> resolver problems I had to the release of libc6 we just both upgraded to:
> Version: 2.0.7t-1

> with this installed even if your /etc/nsswitch.conf and your /host.conf
> files point to /etc/hosts, the host command never even tries to read it
> when doing name to address translation.

>From the 'host' man page:

   host(1)                                                   host(1)

   NAME
       host - query nameserver about domain names and zones
   DESCRIPTION
       host looks for information about Internet hosts and domain
       names.  It gets this information from a set of intercon­
       nected servers that are spread across the world. The
       information is stored in the form of "resource records"
       belonging to hierarchically organized "zones".

Seems pretty clear to me: 'host' queries nameservers.  Why would you expect
it to look in /etc/hosts?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)