Re: RAM Sizing

> I've got a Debian 2.0 system running on a GateWay NS/7000 - 2 200 MHZ
> PPros & 256M RAM. My question is how to size the RAM. The machine
> currently reports 65M RAM so I assume that I'll need to specify the
> actual amount of RAM at startup. What's the best way to do this? Has
> anyone come up with a way for the loader/kernel to automatically do
> this?
The kernel can't.  Apparently some older machines have screwy memory
systems that cause problems if you try to search for memory above 64meg,
so the kernel just doesn't.  You can convince it you've got more than 64
with the mem= parameter,  usually passed in at boot-time.  For you,  it'd
be mem=256M,  and you can do it in lilo by specifying

append="mem=256M" in the stanza for your linux kernel.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |
|         And if you hold on tight to what you think is your thing       |
|                you may find you're missing all the rest ...            |
|	         - Dave Matthews,  "Best of What's Around"               |