Re: Sound cards

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Mark Panzer wrote:

> Can someone please recommend a good sound card for use with Linux,
> (~$30) I know that SB's are compatable but you can't find any without a
> PnP ISA interface.  Isn't there an easier way?  Also I've heard the OSS
> system is, well, crummy. Are they planning on replacing it?
>
> Mark Panzer

If you are adventurous and wish to try something else than the OSS system
there is the alsa system which supports a fairly broad variety of sound
cards <http://alsa.jcu.cz/src/soundcards.html> and is supposedly fairly
backwards compatible with OSS applications.  If you decide to stick with
OSS there is a listing of sound cards that are supported by it, and
remember that SB compatible doesn't mean that will work with the SB drives
in OSS, although a few do.  Hope this helps steer you in the right
direction towards a soundcard.

Ehren Wilson

Cooperative Education Student         ewilson@bunny.powersurfr.com
Department of Chemical Engineering     ewilson@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca