Re: KDE configuration

I once ran Windowmaker+GNOME as default, then I switched to KDE, but
lately KDE's been uninstalled on my machine and I'm using Windowmaker
again but this time without GNOME (which reminds me maybe it's about
time I grabbed .25 ;)  Anyways, IIRC KDE made dotfile directories for
each user's customizations in their respective home directories when I
installed it and I never encountered any permissions problems. Data that
could be shared between users was put in /usr/share/... (like
/usr/share/wallpaper/, a good idea). Also, I never had to add any export
statements or edit any config files by hand with KDE. You can do
everything from within it with a nice GUI.

When you installed KDE, did you grab the *.debs from their site? If you
didn't, but grabbed the tarball instead than this could explain your
woes. If you do grab the debs, be sure to get the *-dev packages to
because I heard some necessary run-time pixmaps are
mistakingly/non-intuitively packaged there.