RE: Almost there. . .HELP

TBaetzle@harbinger.de on 12/08/98 21:10:39

To:   debian-user@lists.debian.org
cc:   John Gay/IE/3Com
Subject:  RE: Almost there. . .HELP

Hi John,

> I have been trying to set-up a PC here at work without connecting to
> the
> NET( Boss won't let me :< ). After trying to copy the files from a
> Windows
> PC via a null-modem cable, I found I didn't have enough room on the
> hard
> drive for ALL the debian packages. I've decided to 'borrow' an IP
> address
> from another PC and can now ping IP addresses from the net, but I
> can't get
> access to a DSN because I'm not supposed to be connected to the net.

Strange. You really mean DNS, right? Name resolution doesn't work?
All you have to do is to copy the DNS give on the Windows PC that
you disconnected to /etc/resolv.conf. Say if it's 192.168.1.1, make
that file contain a line

nameserver 192.168.1.1

This will tell your box the address of the dns server. If you have
several
servers, add more nameserver lines.

Then make sure /etc/host.conf contains the line

order bind,hosts

so that your box actually uses the DNS servers.

If your nameservers don't resolve addresses from the net, then you could
just add IP addresses and names to /etc/hosts, for example

130.207.7.21 ftp.debian.org

HTH,
Thomas

John sends:

As you can see, I'm NOT very NET literate. Work uses WindowsNT and most of
the info is restricted to Administrator access, which I don't have. I
should be able to use the IP address you have given me though to get
connected. Is there anything else I would need to know to make the
connection work? I used a DOS window to ftp to the address and logged in as
anonymous, but I can't seem to be able to use any of the ftp commands like
dir, ls . . . I keep getting

 'Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.'

I haven't tried this from the Linux PC yet, I want to be sure I know what
I'm doing before I connect incase someone gets suspicious.
Thanks again for the help. This list seems to be the best I have found for
getting help, and I've been on many lists for many things!

Cheers,

     John Gay