Re: new to networking question

Shaleh, shaleh@livenet.net on 8/12/98 11:33 PM

>Hi, I just bought a "network in a box" kit: hub, two 10/100 ethernet
>cards, cable.  Could someone please point me to FAQs, HOWTOs etc. for
>getting machines connected and using one box w/ ppp so all have net
>access.  Also it is a sohoware kit, has anyone had good/bad/indifferent
>luck w/ their hardware.  I can still take it back.
>
>Thanks, I am still getting accustomed to Linux networking.  Never set oe
>up from scratch by myself.  (Which is why I am doing it).

Install all the cards and such, compile the modules, get ethernet working
on all the machines. Then set up ppp on one machine. Compile IPMASQ and
IPForwarding support in modules or in the kernel. Set up forwarding rules
for each internal ip, such as:

ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.0.0.2/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.0.0.3/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0
ipfwadm -F -p deny

I put them in a file, such as /usr/bin/startipmasq. (This is on the ppp
machine).
Set up networking on the other machines (/etc/init.d/network) so that it
uses the ppp machine as a gateway. 10.0.0.* and 192.168.1.* both work as
internal-only IP ranges.

You may also want to get midentd which allows you to set up ident to work
through ipmasq.

   | Asher Haig	       ahaig@warped-reality.com |
   | Pager/Voice Mail	           (972) 328-9247 |
"It was like a visit by Don Carleone. I expected to
find a bloody computer monitor in my bed the next day."
-- Mark Andreessen regarding the visit from Microsoft.