Re: nasty...

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

[...]

> creating sd will create all the way up to sdp.

Yes, but it won't create past /dev/sd<n>15. The last time I installed
Debian I had put 16 partitions on my brand new 9.1GB SCSI disk and then
found I only had sda devices numbered up to 15. I read the manpage for
/dev/MAKEDEV and found it pretty useless as well for this problem. They
really should tell you how to do things like this, or at least have a
more intuitive way (i.e. /dev/MAKEDEV /dev/sda16). Heh heh, some very
interesting things happen when you try cp on a disk device (after trying
everything else I tried copying sda15 to sda16 thinking it would just
copy the tiny little file... very strange what starts to happen).

Fortunately though it's not life-or-death that I have 16 partitions so I
was able to just cfdisk 1 away and move on.