Re: sendmail help please

> thank you very much for trying to help out.  I must be really dumb, but
> your suggestions do not seem to work for me.  Here is the output of my
> sendmailconfig after I added the lines you suggest:

<laugh> welcome to sendmail hell.

> FEATURE(nodns) is no-op.

hmm, okay i haven't actually used this for a year or so... i checked my
old config files and this used to work, but i guess it doesn't anymore.

> Use ServiceSwitchFile (/etc/service.switch if your OS does not provide
> its own) instead.

so i'd do this.  i noticed that in your nsswitch file you had a line like
this:

hosts:          files dns

you might need to change this to:

hosts:          files

because you never want it to try to use dns.  however since you really do
want it to do dns when you are connected to the net and have access to a
nameserver.  if you use the top version and make sure that your smarthost
is listed in your hosts file then you should be okay.  it's been a long
time since i set this up and i normally did it with uucp so you didn't
have to worry as much about this stuff.

one other point is that if you just list a smart host it probably will try
and deliver to that immediately.  there is a sendmail.mc option which will
make it automatically dump stuff into the queue, and then you can do
something like in your /etc/ppp/ip-up file:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -q

which will force the queue to be run as soon as your ppp connection comes
up.

> I might be doing some errors with back and forward single quotes ???

i'm pretty sure that's not an issue.

> I am appending my current sendmail.mc, my nsswitch.conf, my hosts and my
> resolv.conf

other then the things above, it mostly looked okay.  your .mc file was
very simple.  i've attached the one i use on my servers for you too look
at if you like... it's not at all the same situation but i thought it
might be useful or interesting.

one other thing is that i notice that you are using the nullclient option.
when you are using the nullclient macro i believe it disables a lot of the
other features.  i would suggest getting rid of the nullclient option and
using the smarthost option as well.

also as a general rule you should list all you the defines before you list
the FEATURE stuff.  the reason is that the defines sometimes modify
variables which the FEATURE's use.

adam.

 4050 Lake Otis Pkwy	   Adam  Shand	     (v) +1 907 562 4636
 Anchorage, AK 99508  Systems Administrator  (f) +1 907 562 4807