Re: ATX and "shutdown -h"

Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What do I need to do to get "shutdown -h" to turn off my computer? It
> has an ATX power supply and win95 shutdown turned everything off so I
> know it's possible.
>
> Here is a snippet from my latest 2.0.34 kernel .config file:
>
>   CONFIG_APM=y
>   # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
>   # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
>   # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
>   # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
>   CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y
>   # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND is not set
>
> --
> Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
> Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com
>
> --

Lee,
I have the same kernel (2.0.34) with the same options and my IBM
Thinkpad 760XL powers off.

Could it be that you are not using the kernel compiled with these
options ??

I personally like to use the following sequence:

cd /usr/src/linux
make [x|menu]config
make-kpkg --zimage --version myhost.1 kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.0.34_myhost.1_i386.deb
shutdown -r -t0 now

make-kpkg comes from the kernel-package debian package (section misc).
--
Robert J. Alexander <rja@raleigh.ibm.com>
AIX Certified System Administrator - Debian Linux addict - Win.\* victim