Re: Dselect & script

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Cristov Russell wrote:

> From: Cristov Russell <wolfsong333@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Dselect & script
>
> Recently I read somewhere (possibly on this list) that there is a way
> to capture what was done during dselect using something like
> /.../script but they did not go into much detail.  Could someone
> explain to me how to do this?

Cristov

If you have script on your system, you can make a "transcript" file of
all that goes to the screen during execution of any program. The default
file name is 'typescript' and you can name the file on the command line.

>From the man page for script:

     Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal.
     It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an
     interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript
     file can be printed out later with lpr(1).

I have also wished I had kept a record of what happens, particularly
when i upgraded from 1.3 to Hamm, when I got a bad Perl package due to
an ugly line and bad luck.

Hope this helps.

--David

       LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [3456]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | Ask me how user interface copyrights & software
teague@wcu.edu | patents make programing a dangerous business.