Re: Problems with Libc6 upgrade?

nimennor@ieaccess.net wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm about to received Debian 2.0, and I was
>         wondering what effect upgrade will have on programs
>         that I currently use.  Besides the usual GNU
>         programs, I also have WordPerfect, Maple, and etc.
>
>         Will these programs work with Libc6, or are there
>         patches that I have to download?
>
>         I've seen that there were several programs that have
>         libc6-related updates, but I never read that ALL of
>         the program should be updated.  Are they?
>
> Thanks,
> -Nikita
>
> --
> Even God cannot change the past.
>          -- Joseph Stalin

	Any program that comes with Debian will come on the 2.0 cdrom already
built for libc6.  The only problem is the stuff you've installed
yourself (i.e. whats in /usr/local).  If you have the source just
recompile.  For commercial, binary-only stuff you can install libc5 in
addition to libc6, so older progs can still be used.  The libc5 package
in the 'oldlibs' section of the 2.0 distribution, has been modified so
it can coexist with libc6.  So first upgrade your system, and then
install libc5 (from 'oldlibs').

--
Ed C.