Re: Adaptec 2940UW failure with current rescue disks; Buslogic BT-958 succeeds.

Hi!

Jameson Burt (jameson@mnsinc.com):
> Debian rescue disks have supported my Adaptec 2940UW disk for 1 1/2 years.
> Now, none of the rescue disks in
>      .../dists/hamm/disks-i386
> work with my Adaptec 2940UW.

> I am not concerned about this problem;  I do not seek a solution since I have
> a very old rescue disk.  Still, I welcome comments in the interest of others
> and my understanding.

I imagine these solutions / workarounds:

- try to enter
	linux aic7xxx=no_reset
  at the boot prompt. *Sometimes* this helps :-)

- use a kernel older than 2.0.34 and put it on the boot-disk ( I suppose
  there is a readme how to do this.) Maybe you can simply use the kernel of
  a bo boot disk. This should be possible without linux, too.

- compile your own kernel with current 5.1.x-pre patches and put it on the
  boot disk. Don't forget to read the aic7xxx list :-) This is the only way
  to deal with adaptec's new U2W controllers.

- ask someone to compile a kernel with 5.1.x(-pre) drivers for you.

Rainer

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB