passwd vs. yppasswd under nis setup question

Hi,

I have a small network of machines with one of them
acting as the nis master.  Currently it looks like
using the "passwd" program on the master will change
the password file but not update the nis map.  I seem
to recall long ago that the nis installation made passwd
call yppasswd?  I am confused as to how it should be set
up.

If I use the "+::::::" entry in the /etc/passwd file on the
master, then the nis maps are used for logins, etc.  But
since the maps are unchanged after using "passwd" the passwd
program reports success and the password appears to  be unchanged
to the user.  The next time root runs make in /var/yp the
maps are updated and the password is changed.  This is a source
of confusion naturally.

I read the debian nis howto and thought I followed it.  It appears
that the solution is to disable "passwd", or make "passwd" a link
to yppasswd.  If so let me know and I will file a bug report.  Otherwise
please let me know what stupid mistake I made.

thanks very much,

Stuart