Video on X doubled

I'm having a fit with X. I'm a newbie. I'm trying to get X running. I've
read VideoModes.Doc and did all the math; I've read "Linux Unleashed";
I've read "Running Linux". I've run XF86Config; I've run XF86Setup. I
can't get a useable video display.

I've got fairly new equipment (Gateway P5-133, Vivitron 17", STB-5446
video card).

XF86Setup lets me choose the card/video/mode, and then starts the server
to test it and says "Congratulations, you have a working server", but
then when I exit XF86Setup and try to run xstart I get the standard "no
valid video modes - can't start" type of error message.

XF86Config gets me a configuration that lets me start X, but only in
low-res (640x480) and the images tend to be doubled (like the screen is
split into a top half and a bottom half and both halfs are showing the
same image, but imperfectly, and the images clobber one another and some
of the images, like the File Cabinet shows up 6 times or so in a small
group). I'm running fvwm95. I've tinkered around enough that I've
finally gotten some higher-res images, but the images still tend to be
doubled and messed up.

I know you can't give me a solid answer, but I'm hoping someone has had
similar problems and knows enough to give me some clues. I'd also like to
be able to find some documentation that's written for 3rd graders (my
brain is very sore from trying to work through VideoModes.doc).

TIA
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu