Re: Changing shell

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Liran Zvibel wrote:
>
> : You can edit the file /etc/passwd, the defauld shell for the user is the
> : last thing in the line.
> : I'm sure that there is a script that does it for you, but I like doing it
> : myself.
>
> Uh, what about the case where a non-trusted user wants to change her
> shell?  If you're going to let anyone edit /etc/passwd that's your
> business, but I think it's insanity :)
>
> `chsh' was invented so that a user who does not have root access may
> change their shell.  See also `chfn', etc.

I didn't mean to let everybody the ability to edit passwd, but anybody
can email system@math... and "say he/she wants his/hers default shell
changed, and one of us will do it for him. (Of course we tell them that
they can change their shell by typing the name of the  new shell, be we're
willing to change it for them. (It is not that hard, so why not offer this
service to our users?)

> --
> Nathan Norman

Liran.