Re: xdm doesn't start properly

Do you have a working X server and your DIPSLAY variable set?

If I unset my DISPLAY, xdm dies, and lets me know in
/var/log/xdm-errors

feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# echo $DISPLAY

feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# xdm
feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# ps auxw | grep xdm
root      7017  0.0  1.3  2228   868  ?  S    00:29   0:00 xdm
root      7038  0.0  0.5   864   356  p4 S    00:30   0:00 grep xdm
feldspar:/usr/doc/smail# tail -n 2 /var/log/xdm-errors
xdm error (pid 7017): server unexpectedly died
xdm error (pid 7017): Server for display :0 can't be started,
session disabled

Does startx work?  If you make up a 'bogus' display, will xdm load
(i.e. `export DISPLAY=192.168.1.1:0.0`)?

Hope this helps,
troy