Re: daily thinkpad 770 ed post :-)

At around Thu, 6 Aug 1998 00:26:04 -0700 (PDT),
 George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> may have mentioned:

> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:
>
> > boot: linux floppy=thinkpad
> > A20 gating failed
> >
> > [system hangs -- same thing for when i don't specify floppy=thinkpad]
>
> Have you made any tweaks to the BIOS to try to speed things up under
> Windows? Maybe chaning the A20 gating from normal to fast or changing the
> bus speeds or anything?

i don't know how to tweak bios things for this model -- there is a way
to change various settings (press f1 while turning the machine on and
keep f1 pressed) such as boot device order, but i have not
successfully located any setting that seems related to a20 gating.
there really doesn't appear to be a whole lot one can change from these
screens.  perhaps there is some other way of altering settings?

> My first thing to try is making note of all BIOS settings and then setting
> them to factory default and trying again. If that does not work, disable
> PnP support in the BIOS and try again.

i haven't found the location for changing whether pnp support is
enabled either.

thanks for the suggestions -- i would try them but i don't know how on
this model...btw, under which bioses have you seen the ability to modify
a20 gating settings?  i have yet to see this in a bios (though i haven't
looked before, so i may just have missed it...).

thank you for your attenion,

-sen