another Xauthority problem?

I have got Debian Hamm and X up and working and am really
pleased.  With help from the list I have got the recompile for SMP
working and got X launching.  However, I still have an X problem
and can't work out the answer from the archives or the doc files I've
found.

The problem is under fvwm but occurs under olwm too.  I can
launch emacs as a regular user (or su) from the window manager
drop down menu but when I try to invoke it from the xterm
command line I get:

Xlib: invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
emacs: cannot connect to X server :0.

I've tried resetting the environment variable DISPLAY from 0.0 to 0
and to psyctc1.sghms.ac.uk (address of the machine, vague
recollections from using an Xserver on an Windoze box to access X
clients on Sun (or maybe it was SG?) in the past).

Something very similar happens with xedit.

Archive entries seem to say something about an .Xauthority file
which my ordinary user account doesn't have. Same thing happens
after su in xterm though.

I am sure I'm getting my permissions wrong but can't find the
magic key or magic cookie.  Anyone put me straight?!

Chris