Re: gnuserv & xauth

>>> "Jan" == Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

  Jan> Deniz Dogan <deniz@ada.net.tr> writes:
  >> How can I use a normal user`s gnuserv process as root? What I
  >> want to do is: as root to use a normaluser`s emacs to edit some
  >> conf files.
  >>
  >> root@dogan:~# xauth -f /home/deniz/.Xauthority extract - :0.0 |
  >> xauth merge - root@dogan:~# gnuclient -h dogan.dyn.ml.org
  >> ipfw.dotfile

  >> What am I missing or doing wrong?

  Jan> 1. gnuclient xauth uses a cookie for display :999

  Jan> use this (our version of mkcookie also makes a cookie for
  Jan> localhost:0, your milage may vary).

  Jan> #! /bin/sh GNU_HOST=bolzano export GNU_HOST # Make Gnuserver
  Jan> cookie for poor user.  if [ -f $HOME/.Xauthority ] then xauth
  Jan> add $GNU_HOST:999 . `xauth -q list localhost:0 | cut -d' ' -f5
  Jan> ` fi

It doesn`t work, at least I can`t get it.
`xauth list dogan:999 | cut -d' ' -f5' gives the same cookie for root
and the normal user (deniz), but still I`m getting the same error:

root@dogan:~# gnuclient -h dogan ipfw.dotfile # ipfw.dotfile is root`s
gnuclient: Connection refused
gnuclient: unable to connect to remote

I also tried using host-based mechanism:

deniz$ echo $GNU_SECURE
/home/deniz/gnu-secure
deniz$ cat gnu-secure
localhost
dogan

This isn`t work either.

  Jan> 2. Gnuclient only tells the remote XEmacs to find-file the
  Jan> file, so the user has to have permission to edit the file. You
  Jan> could try using efs if you allow root ftp access.

I`m trying all this on one box (dogan), I donn`t need remote access.

Thanks.

--
Deniz Dogan