Re: messages that jam mail readers

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 05:21:52PM -0700, Patrick Olson wrote:

> Unfortunately, the script I created (ppp-mail) calls ppp-on, waits until
> ip-up creates a file (as a signal that the connection is up), does
> "fetchmail &", sleeps for 5 minutes then does a killall fetchmail and
> ppp-off doesn't do two things:
>
> 1. It has no provision for the possibility of fetchmail still being in
> action after 5 minutes (for example someone attaches a large file to an
> e-mail)
>
> 2. It has no way of handling a situation where fetchmail has stalled and
> needs to be restarted.
>
> Obviously, my scripting skills aren't that great.

I just thought of an interesting fix for this...
(note my shell scripting sucks...but you should be able to
get the general idea from this..also I just cooked this up...pulled
it right out of my ass)

#!/bin/bash
# note im not making ppp-mail is just a place holder
# ...its an example anyway ;)

if [ -f /var/run/ppp-mail ]
	fetchmail
	rm -f /var/run/ppp-mail
	exit 0
fi
touch /var/run/ppp-mail
$0 & # If you didn't have the test above this would make a mess
exit 0

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"