SCSI woes

Hi

Despite the fact that I've been working with linux (for real, in a job) for the
past year there are still a few things that i do not handle very well.

One of those things is SCSI! And right now i have a server to install with SCSI
only disks and the thing doesn't want to work. I'll explain.

The server has an asus p2b-d or a p2b-ds agp mainboard. It has an adaptec 7890
SCSI chipset and adaptec 3860 SCSI tranceiver on-board.

I've disable the IDE drives on the bios, i've said that the boot devices are
SCSI and i've looked into adaptec's configure utility (the one you access with
ctrl-a). I've configured one of the hard-drives to be the boot device. When i'm
in this utility it tell's me that it's using IRQ 10 and IO D000h.

Also the adaptec bios says the following prior to boot:

SCSI ID:12  FUJITSU xxxx        FAST/Ultra-SE   harddisk0
SCSI ID:0   TOSHIBA CD-ROM      FAST/Ultra-SE
SCSI ID:14  FUJITSU xxxx        FAST/Ultra-SE   harddisk1
SCSI ID:15  FUJITSU xxxx        FAST/Ultra-SE   harddisk2

After this the pci bios (?) spits out the following (this is important, see
below):

        8086 7112 Serial Bus Controller 10 (IRQ)
        9005 001F Mass Storage Controller 10
        5333 xxxx Video Card            10
        10b7      Network card          11

When booting from the most recent set of disks on hamm everything goes fine
until it tell's me this: (it'a a hand trasncript, so forgive for some errors)

The first thing is a bunc of WARNING: UNKNOW PCI DEVICE and then it lists 8086,
9005, 10b7.

Later it says:

md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
Failed Initialization of WD-7000 SCSI Card!
PPA: Unable to initialise controller at 0x378, error 2 (according to the bios
on this address there is a parallel port, so this message is realtive to scsi
or paralell ports)
scsi: 0 hosts
scsi: detected total (?)

And this is it!

My guess is that the kernel that comes with the standard set of disk does not
recognize this SCSI controller, but i believe we have a kernel here (on a
different machine) who does, so how do I produce my own custom disks (if this
is possible of course)?

If the above is not possible can someone explain how am i going to install
debian on this machine!

Thanks very much! Any more information that you need please just ask, as long
as it help's me!

See y'a

        Mario Filipe
        mjnf@uevora.pt