New Debian User.

I've just purchased a new Dell computer it is a pII 400 with 256 memory
10.4 meg hard drive I would like to put I'm trying to install debian and
I'm not having any luck.  Could anyone help me?  So far I have make the
rescue disk and drivers disk and booted with the rescue disk when I try
to do the default installation it loads the root.bin and then tries to
load the linux but the Boot fails.   Please help me I'm stuck with
windows!
                                    -jeff