HP DeskJet 890C: poor performance on Linux vs. Windows

Dear Folks,

I have benchmarked the performance of both the cdj550, hp850, and
hpdj drivers in gs on my Debian box and the HP provided Windows
driver.  I used both photographs and scientific "visualized" data.

I'm using magicfilter and the parameters to gs were set as
recommended in the various gs readmes.

Although people in this group have remarked on the stunning
results with gs, I find that the Windows generated images on the
same printer is *far* superior in both detail and dynamic range.
There were slight differences in the three gs drivers but not
compared favorably to the Windows prints.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

--M

Martin Weinberg                      Phone: (413) 545-3821
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy       FAX:   (413) 545-2117/0648
530 Graduate Research Tower
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003-4525