New install of Hamm 2.0.10_1998-07-21

I am installing Hamm anew on a machine that I had managed to
get Bo on (but only recently so I had nothing much to lose by
zapping it).

Everything seems to go fine.  I have reinitialised all the drives with
the bad block checking and done the full install.  When it comes to
the final reboot everything seems to run fine including checking the
drives and the root filesystem says it's loaded.

Then I get:

INIT: version 2.75 booting
INIT: No inittab file found

Enter runlevel:

If I enter 3 I get:

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

and the machine is locked up, dead!  No other consoles, no
nothing.

I've done the whole thing twice with the same result.  The only
other oddity I can see both times is that the driver installations all
give a quick messages saying something like "root: no such user"
before reporting the installation and its success.

Any thoughts, advice, commiserations?

TIA

Chris
Chris Evans, Senior Lecturer in Psychotherapy,
Locum Consultant to the
  Prudence Skynner Family Therapy Clinic,
St. George's Hospital Medical School, London University
C.Evans@sghms.ac.uk    http://psyctc.sghms.ac.uk/