Re: Questions

At 07:16 PM 7/27/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello, Im trying to learn Linux and I have no clue where to start.  My
>first problem is what file do I need for the Linux operating system?
>The file I thought was it was had a suffix of gz and if i was correct
>with that being the file, then how do you install it?  Is it a
>compressed file? What is used to decompress it.  I hope this doesnt
>sound too stupid but I have never worked with Linux and I feel lost.  I
>hope you can help and hope to hear from you soon.  Thanx for your time
>and effort.
>
>Shinda

I'm a newbie at Linux too, but I'll tell you what I can.

To make things easier, I started with a dedicated system (old 486), rather
than try to make Linux coexist with Win95.

There's several "flavors", or distributions, of Linux. Probably the three
most popular are Redhat (easiest to install but most limiting afterward),
Slackware (you'll learn A LOT, but find upgrading later to the next release
a major hassle--Slackware is more of a hacker's release), and Debian, which
is more middle of the road. I chose Debian, so the following will be
specific to Debian.

You'll need 8 floppy disks (1.44) and an ethernet connection, or a Debian
CD (available from several sources for about $3 and up), or a whole lot of
floppies.

I have an ethernet connection, so I'll describe that process.

>From a computer connected to the web (I used a WinNT box), download the
following files from someplace like
ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/disk_images - the "stable" directory
should have the current debian release (2.0 or "hamm" -- 1.3 was "bo", and
the next release, which is still unstable (ie beta, development) is "slinky):
resc1440.bin (you may have to use the alternative resc1440-tecra.bin if you
can't get a boot-up from this one)
driv1440.bin (I'm not positive of the name on this one)
base14-1.bin
base14-2.bin
base14-3.bin
base14-4.bin
base15-5.bin
rawrite2.exe

Put all these files in one directory (say C:\TEMP or C:\DEBIAN). Then, from
a DOS prompt, type "rawrite2 <enter>" You'll be asked for the source name;
enter "resc1440.bin" (or whatever disk you're working on). It'll tell you
to insert a blank formatted disk. Insert one and follow the prompts. (Don't
forget to label each disk.) Do the similar procedure for each of the first
7 files listed above.

Then take the rescue disk you created, and put it in the computer you want
to install Linux on. Reboot. A screen will come up, ending with a prompt
that says "boot:"; most likely you can just press return. Then follow the
screen instructions.

You'll run into a lot of things you don't know how to answer; you'll get
very frustrated. You'll wind up wiping the drive and starting over from
scratch about 20 times. But eventually you'll be really glad you stuck with
it.

There's some installation instructions on the www.debian.org site. It'll
tell you pretty much what I have, but will give better detail.

Have fun and good luck!

Kent West			| Technology Support/Customer Service		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|