Re: no pon!

> When I type pon, nothing is happening.  I ran plog and got the message
> that "Device ttyS1 is locked by pid 109"
> ttyS1 was working fine for weeks.
> who is this pid 109 and what does it want with my life?

   PID is simply a process identification number.  What that message was telling you
was that another process (program) was using the comm port so that pon couldn't access
it.

   You can check to see what process 109 is by using the ps command.  Try typing a "ps
ax | less" and you'll have all of your processes piped into the less command so you
can page back and forth and look at them.  The PID is the left-hand column, find 109
and you can identify the program that it is.  I usually get such things when I leave a
regular modem terminal program (e.g. Seyon or minicom) running in another session.

   This type of process locking a comm port is really slick -- it allows you to run
all sorts of programs on the comm port and to have them get along and share the modem
port fairly nicely.  Read up on "man ps" for more info.

--
 Regards,                |Debian GNU/__     o http://www.debian.org