To:      wohler@gbr.newt.com
Subject: Linux security tips
From:    Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
Date:    Tue, 02 Jun 1998 07:57:36 -0700

  To prevent Linux from forwarding any packets, recompile the kernel
  with the option CONFIG_IP_FORWARD off.

  To prevent forwarding any source-routed packets or accepting any
  source routed packets destined for itself, use CONFIG_IP_NOSR on.

  To defend against SYN flooding, use CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES or
  CONFIG_RST_COOKIES on.

  To prevent responding to pings altogether, use
  CONFIG_IP_IGNORE_ECHO_REQUESTS on.

  If firewall, use CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG on to protect machines
  behind it from IP fragmentation attacks.

  To mark the stack as nonexecutable apply patch at
  www.false.com/security/linux/secure-linux.tar.gz and use
  CONFIG_SECURE_STACK on.

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.

------- End of Forwarded Message