lp connection refused

I have LPRng installed on my Debian 1.3.1 system.  I had magicfilter
installed, but it did not filter ps files (or I  dind't set it up,
which is more likely).

Anyway, I removed the magicfilter package and installed APSfilter,
because it has that neat-o setup script.  After installing that, I
cannot print.  When I try to "lp file" I get the following error:

connection to ascii@localhost failed - Connection refused
job 'cfA304localhost' transfer to ascii@localhost failed after 1 attempts

And I dunno why this is.

I also did a "ps ax | grep lp" and there is no lpd running!  I su'd to
root, then manually ran /usr/sbin/lpd, and still, lpd does not run!
Why is this?

Thanks for any help!

Matt