Slink KDE doesn't start.

Hi all,

This is a bizarre problem. I have installed previous versions of KDE
error and hassle free and the other day I decided to grab KDE 1.0 from
Slink and the dpkg -i install went without errors and then I modified
/etc/X11/window-managers so that KDE would be the first to start and
when I typed 'startx' the screen switched over to a generic
no-window-manager-loaded-yet screen where there is just the little x in
the middle of the screen and the background is still that black and
white dotted pattern thing for a split second, and then X shuts down and
when I'm returned to the prompt the text left on screen is exactly the
same as if I had just run a normal session. There are no error messages
like "couldn't connect to xserver" or anything. If I start an X session
with olvwm or fvwm2 and then in an xterm type 'kde' I get error messages
about being unable to load shared object files but doing dpkg -S shows
that I have these files installed.

Thanks in advance for any help guys,
Chris