Re: Installing to a Harddrive other than C:

DMDP wrote:
  >I have been reading your installation information and I cannot find
  >anything that tells me how to install Debian to an E:\ drive for example
  >and use a DOS bootup menu to access it.
  >
  >How should I go about setting this up?
  >
  >The installation guide recommends installing on C:, but I REALLY don't
  >want to do that.

If you have an existing drive that you address from DOS as E:, you do not
want to install Linux on it, because its current contents will be
destroyed (unless you use it for a umsdos filesystem, which is not an
ideal solution).

To install Linux you need some space on your hard drive which is not
allocated to DOS.  If you can delete an existing partition, do so; otherwise
you may need to install an extra hard disk.

The space you use for Linux will need to be split into at least two
partitions; one of these will be a swap partition, that acts as an
overflow for your RAM memory; the other will be where your Linux
filesystem will be created.  The filesystem space can be further
subdivided if you consider this necessary. (Don't worry about it for
now.)  The swap partition needs to be adequate to meet (together with the
RAM) all likely memory demands; about three times your RAM size should
be enough unless you have very little RAM.

You can boot Linux with the DOS program, LOADLIN; or you can set up LILO
which will act as a boot manager and allow you to choose which O/S to
run each time you boot.  If you use LOADLIN, it would be best to install
this program on your C: drive, but not the whole of Linux, of course.
The standard installation program offers to install LILO.