Re: where to put ctan files?

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 02:45:50PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Jim Foltz wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > Where can I install a package from ctan? I tried putting it in
> > /usr/local/lib/texmf, then ran texhash as root. I thought this would be
> > enough, but not so. What did I miss here?
>
> In that case, I believe, you have to tell texhash to also read
> /usr/local/lib/texmf.
>
> Due to the fact that I know that TeX is a difficult package, I'd
> suggest you either produce a .deb out of your additions and let
> dpkg install it into /usr/lib/tex or install it in /usr/lib/tex
> yourself - or third convince the TeX maintainer to also package
> this package.  Kristopher Rose expressed the idea of packaging
> some of the unpackaged CTAN stuff.  You might want to contact
> him.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Joey
>
> --
> A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Well, texhash tells me:

texhash: Updating /usr/lib/texmf/local/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /var/spool/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Done.

And /usr/lib/texmf/local is a link to /usr/local/lib/texmf

The ls-R file does show it knows where the envlab.sty (the ctan package I
wanted to use) is.