IP Masq Mystery!

I have a new hamm install ethernetted to my old bo machine. The latter dials
up the Internet, and I've always used ethernet and IP masq-ing on bo to allow
the other machine to surf the 'net. This worked fine on the old RH 4,2 that
used to sit where the new hamm now resides.

      "wingnut"                          "bedlam"
     +-----------+                     +------------+
     |           |eth0             eth0|            |
     |   hamm    +---------------------+    bo      +-->modem-->Internet
     |           |                     |  ip masq   |
     +-----------+                     +------------+
           192.168.1.2              192.168.1.1

Consider:

1) hamm can ping bo, and vice versa. The hardware is ok.

2) OS/2 also sits on the hamm machine; if I reboot to it while bo is dialled
up, then OS/2 can ping the World. So the ip masqing on bo is ok.

3) With bo dialled up, if I try to ping from hamm a server on the net by name,
I get an 'unknown host' message. But if I ping with a dotted-4 IP address,
then I get a 'network is unreachable' message.

4) FWIW, there is a modem also attached to hamm, and if I dialup my ISP with
it then hamm can find its way all over the 'net no problemo.

I really don't know what to make of this. Here's the routing table for hamm:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1 eth0
default         bedlam          255.255.255.0   UG    0      0        0 eth0
localnet        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo

I guess what really baffles me is why the OS/2 system on the hamm box can use
the ip masq'd connection but my brand new hamm can't!  I'd appreciate any
thoughts as to how diagnose what's going on.

Bob Bernstein      bernie@brainiac.com       http://www.brainiac.com/bernie
at
Esmond, R.I.       ftp://rupturedduck.dyn.ml.org  (sometimes)