Re: Linus Torvalds interview

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 02:12:44AM +0800, Richard L. Alhama wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 04:19:17PM -0700, Keith Beattie wrote:
> > > fyi,
> > >
> > > http://www.bootnet.com/youaskedforit/lip_linux_manifesto.html
> >
> > If that's the one I've seen it is well worth reading.  Linux has his head
>
> Linux the OS or Linus the person?  Do you mean that what LT says goes for
> the linux community as well?

Oops :-)  No - but he generally behaves responsibly by avoiding flame-wars
(apart from his recent KDE comment where he seemed to mess up on the license
issues :-( )

> > screwed on right (apart from the "I don't think Microsoft is an evil
> > company" bit which I completely disagree with <vbg>).
>
> I do agree with him (Linus Torvalds) when he said that M$ only makes
> crappy OS's.  The apps are great 'cept for Office 97 but not their
> compilers. Sheesshh, I hate all those M$ Visual compilers, Visual J++,
> Visual anything, Visual anycrap.

Yeah - at work we check for a environment variable to see if we want to run
a program under the debugger (Englishfied code) :

#if OS2
#define debug "start /c " debugenv
#endif
#if UNIX
#define debug debugenv " &"
#endif
#if NT
#define debug "echo Crappy Visual C won't let us start a program \
               and there's no way I'm going to DDE it"
#endif

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution