Re: Stupid unix

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Jack A Walker wrote:

> Please excuse this lame non Debian specific question.  Is there a simple
> way to change all filenames in a directory so they are lowercase?  I would
> like to change all the *.cpp and *.h files in a project directory to be
> lowercase letters only.  I know this seems like a lame task but it would
> simplify working on some of my source at home on Linux.  I use Windoesn't
> 4.0 at work which retains name case but doesn't use it.

I use the following macro command in zsh (it might be portable to other
shells, or maybe not) :

lower() { for i in $*; mv -f $i ${i:l} 2>/dev/null }

usage is : lower <filenames>
ex. lower *
or  lower *.C
etc...

Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE - Student at Ecole Centrale Paris (France)
           www              walken@via.ecp.fr
          (o o)            http://www.via.ecp.fr/~walken/
------oOO--(_)--OOo------ C0 9B E8 D8 44 43 D3 63  5A B4 BA 55 57 5B 19 6D
     "Just say know"     finger walken@zen.via.ecp.fr for complete PGP key