Re: cd rom drives

> newbie alert.
Greetings.

> now.. here's the dumb newbie question.. apart from staying away from plug
> and pray, is there any complication to installing a cd-rom drive and new
> modem?  do i have to invoke prayers to any particular UNIX gods?  or do i
> get to shove the new stuff into their proper bays and boot up?
Well,  that depends entirely on which cd-rom drives and modems you'd like
to install.  If you haven't already been told this,  avoid _everything_
labelled anything like "Winmodem" ... they just plain won't work.

What do you plan to attach the CD drive to?  IDE?  SCSI?  Soundcard?  Will
it attach in the same way as the one it's replacing?

For modems,  I'd get something that is hw-configurable (w/jumpers) if you
don't have a pnp bios.  My pnp soundcard and modem work fine with my pnp
bios (I don't use pnptools or anything) but it sounds like your computer
is older,  and so likely isn't pnp-biosed.  And a modem that speaks a good
standard Hayes-AT command set is a good idea (don't know if you can get
one that doesn't do this,  these days).

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |