XF86Config mode settings for Number 9 FX Motion 771

/dev/lp1 and printing sorted out!

Now trouble is that I cannot get my combination of a number 9 FX
Motion 771 card (it's an approved S3 card, fairly sure it has 4Mb
RAM) to run X in 1024X768.  I know it will do this as it ran NT at
that resolution.  I think I successfully (but not usably) ran it on
1280x1024 which is the maximum my monitor can do.  Now all I'm
getting is 800x600 and that's virtual as the autosynch monitor is
resolutely sticking in 640*400 at 70MHz.

Monitor is an Elonex rebadged Phillips Brilliance 17" I think.  The
pertinent modes it offers according to the manual are:
M08 = 8514A 1024x768 H:35.5MHz V 87
M09               1024x768 H:48.4       V 60
M10               1024x768 H:56.0       V 70

I used XF86config to set up the configuration and have tried
adapting it by hand with no joy at all.  Then entry I have in
/etc/X11/XF86Config for the card contains:
    VideoRam  4096
    s3RefClk    16
    DACspeed  220

startx is reporting clocks of 24.93 28.32 0.00 and 0.00 which
doesn't look very high, it's rejecting a number of modes as needing
hsync frequencies that are not what it wants.  I think the problem is
that this indicates a programmable clock and it could be instructed
to clock higher than this. The documentation on the card
specifically says you shouldn't probe it so I can't take that line of
action.  Can someone tell me clock settings that I should be giving
to /ect/X11/XF86Config?

Ugh, Debian can have a pretty long learning curve can't it?

TIA,

Chris

Chris Evans, Senior Lecturer in Psychotherapy,
Locum Consultant to the
  Prudence Skynner Family Therapy Clinic,
St. George's Hospital Medical School, London University
C.Evans@sghms.ac.uk    http://psyctc.sghms.ac.uk/