Beta Test and e2fsprogs

I can't seem to upgrade one of the base packages.

My current setup is

ii  e2fslibsg       1.10-8         The EXT2 file system shared libs.
ii  e2fsprogsg      1.10-8         The EXT2 file system utilities.

When I type "dpkg --install e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb", I get the following:

dpkg: considering removing e2fslibsg in favour of e2fsprogs ...
dpkg: yes, will remove e2fslibsg in favour of e2fsprogs.
dpkg: regarding e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb containing e2fsprogs:
 e2fsprogsg conflicts with e2fsprogs
  e2fsprogs (version 1.10-17) is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing e2fsprogs
 e2fsprogs_1.10-17.deb

My usual procedure is to first try to upgrade the package that won't
let itself be removed.  I can't find any package marked "e2fsprogsg".
In cases like this, I next try to back the offending package out by
first uninstalling everything that depends on it and then removing the
package.  This package is different because it is "essential".

I don't want to "--force" this, but I don't see any other way.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Serice