Re: My Date is always 3 hrs off

Keith wrote:

> I am having some trouble getting my time correct
> on my Debian 1.3 system. I am in the Eastern time
> zone. I type:
>
> date 0722233098
[snip]
> This is what I get when I display the time and date:
>
> Wed Apr 22 11:30:02 EDT 1998
>
> But like I said it reverts back three hours slow after
> I reboot.

Reading from the computer's on-board clock is slow. For better
performance, Linux reads the on-board clock on start up and uses its own
time-keeping system to update it.

The date command only modifies the clock kept by the kernel. Your goal
here is to change the hardware clock. For bo (1.3) the command you want
to use is "clock," hamm (2.0) changed the command to hwclock.

Read all about clock through its man page (man clock).