I've hozed my root login.

As root I ran chsh and accidentally entered an
invalid shell path. chsh didn't detect this mistake
like it does for a regular user!
I wasn't aware of my blunder till next time I tried to
login as root.
I tried booting from the rescue floppy and then mounting
my linux drive so that I might edit /etc/passwd but the
mount did something weird, when I "cd /mnt/etc" there was
nothing there, I mean the dir was  empty, hence I couldn't
edit anything. This "emptiness" phenomenon was also true for
other dirs. weird!
Any words of wisdom?
		marlon