RE: 2 Xsessions?, 2 graphics cards?

On 20-Jul-98 Stuart Marshall wrote:
> Is there some way to run more than one X session on my debian PC?
>
> Ideally I would do something like run an 8-bit depth xdm session
> that logged me into a remote sun computer and a second X session
> that is 16-bit depth that is my local session.  If it requires a
> second video card it is no problem.  I would then be able to switch
> between the two sessions via ALT-F7, ALT-F8 or something.

The following should do what I think you're asking for:

With no X up at all,

1. From your local machine (say on tty1) do

   startx -- -bpp 16 &

This should start a 16-bit X session on your local machine (on VT-7). Now
do Alt-F1 to get back to tty1.

2. Still from your local machine, and from tty1, do

   startx -- :1 -bpp 8 &

This should start an 8-bit X session on your local machine (on VT-8). You
should be able to switch between them using Alt-F8, Alt-F7. The ":1" must be
the FIRST thing following the "--".

3. From the second (8-bit) session on VT-8, telnet to the Sun machine. Then you
should be able to do what you want. (You won't be able to cut&paste between the
two different sessions however, and you can only see one of them at once).

Hope this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 21-Jul-98                                       Time: 00:32:15