php3: unsupported or undefined function

I'm trying to use postgreSQL and php3 together but don't work.
I've seen the php3 installed files and also the calendar php3
module don't work. What's wrong, what can I do ?
Here are the messages:

Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function pg_connect()
Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function gregoriantojd()

The installed packages:

||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  php3            3.0-2          A server-side, HTML-embedded
scripting langu
ii  php3-doc        3.0-2          Documentation for PHP3
ii  php3-pgsql      3.0-2          PostgreSQL module for PHP3
ii  libpgsql        6.3.2-8        Shared library for PostgreSQL
ii  php3-pgsql      3.0-2          PostgreSQL module for PHP3
ii  apache          1.3.0-2        Versatile, high-performance HTTP
server
ii  apache-doc      1.3.0-2        Apache documentation

Thanks,
                               Guido.
--