RE: dpkg-deb --build and the / partition

Well...  It must be something else.  I was just guessing that
you might be running out of space in /tmp since many utilities
put tmp files there.  Those utilities also (mostly) look at
TMPDIR to see where to make tmp files.  Sorry bout that.

You might try to look for big increases in space
usage while it is running.  find has the -xdev option to keep it
from following mount points.  du also has the -x option that does
the same thing.  Maybe doing a du before running dpkg-deb and
then running du during the build and comparing the output???

jim