Re: passwords at Debian's FTP site

On 19 Jul 1998, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "DJ" == Dave Jones <kajukenbo@ibm.net> writes:
>
> DJ> I was going to download the latest
> DJ> libc5 and netstd packages from debian's ftp site and it asks for a username
> DJ> and password when I try to save the files.
>
> You log in as anonymous to ftp.debian.org and issue a get command. You
> are then asked about a password? IIRC, the ftp protocol has no means
> for doing so.
>
> You are not trying to upload files, aren't you?

He might not have his FTP client (e.g. Netscape) configured.  I know I
leave mine unconfigured to prevent people from putting ftp:// links in
their page and snagging my email address by linking to a 2x2 transparent
gif or something that I can not see but used to generate an FTP
transaction with my email address as the password that they can glean from
their ftp xferlog.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?