Re: signal 32

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Greg Norris wrote:

> > Looks like a 32 is not a valid signal.

I have two different systems, both Hamm running 2.0.32. They both act
differently.  If I send a sleep command a signal 3 on calvin, it dumps
core but if I send it a 32 it exits with invalid signal.

If I send a sleep command on corsica a signal 3 it quits and if I send it
a 32, I get gibberish.

Example:

$ hostname
corsica
$ sleep 90&
[1] 648
$ kill -32 648
$ ps ax 648
  PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
No processes available.
[1]+  UPaE}  sleep 90

Now on calvin:

$ hostname
calvin
$ sleep 90&
[1] 17929
$ kill -32 17929
$ ps ax 17929
  PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
No processes available.
[1]+  Unknown signal 32       sleep 90

I upgraded the libc6 on corsica yseterday ... I suspect there is some
weirdness someplace.

The two machines differ in some libraries and their response differs.

Also, look at the results of a uname -a:

Linux calvin 2.0.32 #4 Sun Mar 22 17:16:51 /etc/localtime 1998 i586
unknown

Notice the /etc/localtime?

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?