Specifying Ultra-SCSI? Re: RAM SIZE large than 64MB

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> "Alex Kwan" wrote:
>   >I have seen the FAQ on FreeBSD documents,
>   >It was said that if the system have more than
>   >64MB RAM, the user needed to use kernel
>   >option specified the actual RAM size,
>   >because I want to extend the RAM to 128M
>   >in my Hamm, so I have two questions:
>   >(1) Does the Linux is seem?
>
> That question isn't English; I suppose you mean: Is Linux the same?
>
> The answer is, yes.
>
>   >(2) If needed, how to?
>   >

> In /etc/lilo.conf, add an append option specifying the actual amount
> of memory:

> # Linux - 2.0.33
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.33
>   label=linux2033
>   append="mem=96m aic7xxx=ultra"

Which specific Adaptec chipset are you using? The 7880? I have a 2940UW PCI card and I
never bothered to enter any settings related to it in lilo.conf because during bootup
I get messages about it being set to 20MHz in Wide 16-bit mode, so I'm getting UW mode
automatically. Does that setting make the SCSI part of the bootup faster? The SCSI
part is the only part of my bootup that isn't lightening fast right now. I've thought
of playing with the kernel compile option to lower the wait count from 5 seconds, but
thought maybe that's not such a hot idea.