Re: KDE in deb format?

After some investigation, it seems that the KDE 1.0 debs are missing quite a lot
of files from /usr/share/toolbar. I unpacked the kdebase b4 package, and just
copied them over. FYI, you extract from the .deb with ``ar x filename.deb''
and then un tar-gzip the binary.tar.gz to get the files. I reported this as a
bug to the KDE folks, since the Debian people don't package KDE.

I also had to uninstall the b4 before 1.0 started working. I don't have any
problems with the screensavers, you might want to check and see if all the
/usr/X11R6/bin/*.kss files are setuid root or not- since hamm uses shadow
passwords, they need to be setuid.

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 08:57:43AM -0400, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> I did the same, although I actually got them from the sunsite ftp site.
> I also have the missing pixmaps for the title bar, and also have no
> screensavers. All else seems OK so far. I uninstalled beta 4 first.
>
> I couldn't find the admin deb package at sunsite, but that's fairly
> minor anyway.
>
> Tom
>
> Ian Eure wrote:
> >
> > I'm running KDE 1.0, from the debs on ftp.kde.org, and it seems ok. Hasn't
> > crashed yet. It was kind of interesting to install, I had to remove my beta4
> > packages before it would work right, and there are some programs I have that
> > are still linked to the old (pre-1.0) kde libs, which break. I also seem to be
> > missing some of the pixmaps for the titlebar, not sure where those went :)
> >
> > These problems should be taken care of when kde is recompiled by a Debian
> > develepor.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 02:28:52PM +0400, Eugene Sevinian wrote:
> > >
> > > There are some wrong pointer to deb packages of KDE1.0 on www.kde.org.
> > > Anybody tried to get it from somewere and install? Does it works good?
> > >
> > > Eugene Sevinian
> > >
> > > ----------------------------
> > > Cosmic Ray Division
> > > Yerevan Physics Institute
> > > Alikhanian's Brothers str.2
> > > 375036 Yerevan 36
> > > Armenia

> > > Phone: 374-2-352041 (YerPhI), 374-2-344873 (aprt.)
> > > Fax: 374-2-350030
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > --

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :