Re: Freetype

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 11:18:30PM +0800, Richard L. Alhama wrote:
> I installed freetype and I don't know how to use it. Help me! I'm lazy
> rtfming!
> I have tons of TTF Fonts that I would like to use with GIMP.

I have never used freetype...but maybe what you want is xfstt?
it is a "TrueType font server for X".
All you need to do is install it, add the fonts into the proper dir,
then xfstt --sync
then start xfstt and...add it to your font path.

How you do all this depends on what you are running. If you are on a bo system
then put the fonts in /var/ttfonts
install xfstt...
add FONTPATH "unix/7100" to your XF86Config file...
then start xfstt.

Under hamm it is the same. If you run hamm I suggest getting
the slink package since it is newer...unfortunaly in that one fonts
go in /usr/share/fonts/truetype (I had to change it because /var/ttfonts
violates policy)

Now for the "Beware of breaking packages":
The next version of xfstt will use 7101 instead of 7100 for its port number
this is to avoid conflict with xfs.

The current (slink) version has a /etc/init.d script to startup on
reboot...but...its not marked as a conffile..so if you change it...you
will loose your changes.

Ok thats all...I know its allot of information but I like to be thourough.
Basically...it will let you use truetype fonts in any app...Netscape
looks great ;) (but has its own issues)
-Steve

>                   /\  Richard L. Alhama, Technical Support
>  ,,''             \/  Cyberspace Laoag,ISP
>   ``,,                http://www2.cyberspace.com.ph/~keyoz
> "Overuse of the smiley is a mark of loserhood!" --The Jargon File
>   *''
>

> --

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"