crc error ( install )

I have just started to install Debian Linux.  I don't think I got past first
base.
After making my floppies I rebooted with the resc1440.bin disk firmly in the
drive.  On the first screen I pressed Enter heres what I got :
boot:
Uncompressing Linux...........
    crc error
--System halted

I have read heard about problems with bad floppies.  The same happend with
the 3rd floppy.  I bought a brand new pack of floppies today so I would  be
less likely to have a problem ( they are even branded ).
Is this a common problem.
Machine is a HP Vectra.  P200 with 64MB Ram.
Regards
Nik Swain